Reclassification of Residency
The rules regarding residency for tuition purposes at Alabama A&M University are governed by the State of Alabama Code Subsection 16, Title 16, Chapter 64.
What students need to know about Alabama residency for purposes of tuition and fees prior to submitting an Application for Reclassification of Residency:
1. The standard for residency makes it extremely difficult for most undergraduates who do not have a parent who resides in Alabama to qualify for classification as a resident at Alabama A&M University.
2. Your resident or nonresident classification is determined for purposes of tuition and fees at the point of admission to Alabama A&M University.
一道本不卡免费高清3. If you are an undergraduate under the age of 24 and your parent(s) are not Alabama residents as defined by this policy, it is unlikely that you will be able to qualify as an Alabama resident for purposes of tuition and fees.
4. The term “resident” in the Residency Policy for Tuition Purposes comes from the University’s residence regulations and differs from other definitions of Alabama residency. For example, a person who is an Alabama resident for tax or voting purposes will not necessarily be a resident for purposes of tuition and fees. Financial Aid definitions of "resident" may also differ. These other definitions of "resident" do not confer in-state residency for purposes of tuition and fees.
5. You do not一道本不卡免费高清 become a resident for purposes of tuition and fees simply by living in Alabama for twelve months or more. The length of time you attend Alabama A&M University or live in the state of Alabama is not the sole or primary determining factor of residency. If you are in Alabama solely or primarily for educational purposes (as demonstrated by registering for a full-time course load at AAMU within the last 12 months), you will not be eligible for resident classification, regardless of the length of your time in Alabama.
6. You normally cannot establish Alabama residency for purposes of tuition and fees while maintaining ties to another state or country (e.g. state tax liability, driver’s license, voter’s or vehicle registration). Further, if you have moved to Alabama primarily to attend Alabama A&M University, you are here for educational purposes and so are not eligible for reclassification for purposes of tuition and fees.
一道本不卡免费高清7. In order to establish residency in Alabama for purposes of tuition and fees, you must have the legal ability to establish a permanent domicile in the United States, meaning that you must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or hold a valid, qualifying non-immigrant visa as indicated in the International section of the policy.
8. It is your burden to prove, clearly and convincingly, that you have satisfied all applicable requirements in the Residency Policy for Tuition and Fees.
一道本不卡免费高清9. Personal circumstances not pertaining to the Residency for Tuition Purposes policy, such as academic merit and financial hardship cannot be considered in evaluating whether or not you are able to qualify for Alabama residency for purposes of tuition and fees.
10. Only specifically authorized personnel within the Office of the University Registrar at Alabama A&M University are qualified to answer questions or make a determination about residency for tuition purposes. Other University personnel are NOT authorized to supply information relative to residency requirements for tuition purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is a student's residency status determined?
The Admissions office determines each student's residency status when the completed application for admission is received and processed. The decision is based on the information contained in the application for admission, transcripts, and other documents required for admission. The residency status determined at this time remains in effect until the student either (1) fulfills the requirements for residency and petitions for reclassification or (2) loses residency by his or her absence from Alabama with intent to become a resident of another state. Residency status is reviewed after any absence from the university of one year [three consecutive semesters] or more.Back to Top
- How is a minor student's residency status determined?
In Alabama, nineteen (19) is the age of majority. Persons under the age of nineteen are considered minors under the law. The residency status for students under nineteen is based upon the residence of the student’s “supporting person” as that term is defined in the Non-resident Tuition Policy. In most cases a person must be 19 to begin to establish residency apart from his or her parents, legal custodian, or guardian.Back to Top
- Will my residency status be updated to in-state after my first year of attendance?
A student's residency status is not based on the length of time that he or she attends the University. Alabama law stipulates that an individual living in Alabama for the purpose of attending school is to be considered a non-resident student. Students admitted as non-residents remain as such until and unless sufficient evidence is submitted that demonstrates fulfillment of the requirements listed on the Application for Reclassification of Residence for Tuition Purposes.Back to Top
- What effect does property ownership in Alabama have on tuition classification?
一道本不卡免费高清Property ownership in Alabama does not, by itself, constitute residency or entitlement to in-state tuition.Back to Top
- Does a student who is not a minor living in Alabama with a relative other than parents or guardian have any effect on residency status?
一道本不卡免费高清None or very little.Back to Top
- If a student is a dependent of an Alabama A&M University alumnus, would it have any effect on his or her residency status?
No. This would have no influence on residency status, but the student may be eligible for an Alumni Scholarship offered by the Alabama A&M University National Alumni Association.Back to Top
- How does a student petition for a reclassification of residency status?
A non-resident student who believes he or she has satisfied the residency requirements may complete an Application for Reclassification of Residence for Tuition Purposes. A change in residency classification is never automatic. It is always the student's responsibility to initiate the reclassification request. Applications must be submitted by the payment confirmation deadline for the term that reclassification is sought.Back to Top
- May a student who is classified as a resident lose resident status and be reclassified as a non-resident?
一道本不卡免费高清Temporary absences from Alabama alone will not result in a loss of resident student status once established, unless the absence is accompanied by actions which indicate intent to establish a new residence in another state.
Determination that false or misleading information was provided by the student may result in loss of resident status and dismissal from the University.
Residency status may be redetermined after any absence from the university.Back to Top
If you believe you meet the requirements, you may fill out an Application for Reclassification of Residency. Signed and notarized application forms, together with any supporting documentation, should be brought in a sealed envelope一道本不卡免费高清 to the Registrar's Office (Patton Hall, room 204).
一道本不卡免费高清In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: